5. Nano Field Emission Thruster:
The Nanoparticle Field Emission Thruster
- It can electrostatically charge and accelerate nanoparticles as propellant
- It could be tremendously flexible in controlling charge/mass (q/m) ratio to tune propulsion performance
- It uses scalable array (thousands to many millions) of micron-sized emitters. It is possible to have millions of emitters per square cm.
Advantages offered by nanoFET:
- Ability for broader set of missions and mission phases.
- Ability to decoupling of propulsion system design from the design of spacecraft.