d. Some cloud computing services
1. Email Services: Allows sending of bulk emails at minimal costs. Many cloud email service providers offer domain-name capabilities, so that your emails appear to be sent and received on your own domain, even though you are using their servers. Also, you don't have to worry about Spam protection and software updating. Some cloud email services are Google Apps, PanTerra Networks, Cisco WebEx Email, Yahoo Zimbra, IBM LotusLive iNotes, Microsoft Exchange online and Rackspace Email.
2. Document sharing: This service store files on the server and allows you to access it from anywhere. They can be as simple as a file repository to more sophisticate things that create entire networks of virtual computers for applications and databases. Some cloud document sharing services are: Microsoft's Live Office, Google Docs and Box.net.
3. Database services: These services provide database running on cloud computing platform. Users can run databases on the cloud independently, using a Virtual Machine image, or they can purchase access to a database service, maintained by a cloud database provider. Of the databases available on the cloud, some are SQL-based and some use a NoSQL data model. Some cloud database services are: Microsoft SQL Azure Database, SimpleDB by Amazon Web Services, Google App Data Store and Database.com by
4. Application Hosting: This service provides Web hosting and much more, including storage, load-balancing, elastic scalability, authentication services and integration with you local network. It reduces the overhead cost of server hardware and other applications, and is suitable for companies that are looking forward to cut cost. Some cloud application hosting services are: Microsoft Windows Azure, Google App Engine, Rackspace
e. Cloud Operating system
It is a simplified operating system that runs just a web browser, providing access to a variety of web-based applications that allow the user to perform many simple tasks without booting a full-scale operating system. Because of its simplicity, Cloud can boot in just a few seconds. The operating system is designed for Notebooks, Mobile Internet Devices, and PCs that are mainly used to browse the Internet. From Cloud the user can quickly boot into the main OS, because Cloud continues booting the main OS in the background.
Combining a browser with a basic operating system also allows the use of cloud computing, in which applications and data "live and run" on the Internet instead of the hard drive.
Cloud can be installed and used together with other operating systems, or act as a standalone operating system. When used as a standalone operating system, hardware requirements are relatively low. It allows a user to access their own virtual desktop from anywhere around the world, without even using a network like with a remote PC. In addition, you are essentially using the Internet to work as a desktop, rather than an actually desktop computer.
Some cloud Operating systems are:
1. Glide: Glide OS is a free set of productivity and collaboration applications which can help in organizing your digital life with ease. It provides safe and secure 30GBs of storage, thus protecting your needs for private online storage. You can create up to six accounts for different users. Common applications like office suite, photo editor, email client, and media player are available. It is compatible across multiple devices and operating systems; also providing plug-ins for popular web browsers like Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer to make your experience more convenient. You can sign up for Glide premium, which will upgrade your storage to 250 GBs for $50.00 a year.
2. eyeOS: It is a disruptive desktop entirely usable from a web browser. It includes an office suite and some collaboration applications, as well as a full framework to develop new web apps as if they were desktop apps. It's Free and Open Source
-so you can host your own system, keeping all your data under your control. eyeOS is one of the most used WebOSes which is released under the AGPLv3 license and only needs Apache + PHP5 + MySQL to run. With eyeOS you can build your private Cloud Desktop. Using Web Runner you can open your eyeOS files from your browser with your local apps and save them automatically on your cloud. In eyeOS 2.0 you can work collaboratively with other users simultaneously in the same document, it is the Safe Cloud Computing system because you can host it in your own company or organization. You will get privacy and cloud computing at its best.
3. AmoebaOS: It is an advanced Online Operating System. Log in to your free account and join a cloud computing revolution that begins with great apps like Shutterborg, Extreme and Surf.
4. myGoya: It is a free online operating system. Your own personal desktop can be accessed from any Internet PC in the world and includes e-mail, chat, file sharing, calendar and an instant messenger. Manage your contacts from anywhere in the world.
5. Lucid Desktop: Lucid comes with lots of applications. You can browse photos, listen to music, and edit documents. It also comes with an RSS feed reader, some games, a calculator, and a bash-like terminal application. You can install additional third-party applications, which allows you do even more
6. Ghost: Ghost Cloud Computing is a leading company in the cloud computing industry specializing in cloud computing for the end user. Ghost offers individuals and businesses file storage and apps in the cloud to enable secure personal computing from any device. Ghost is distributed directly from its web site and through channels. Ghost web interface is very simple and easy to use, it make it quick and easy to manage your files and folders. You can upload data of any type to your cloud storage from any device. You can view and edit any of your files in any browser.
You can instantly share files and documents with any friend by sending them a link. Wherever you are, you can edit documents and pictures directly online within Ghost portal. It also offers full mobile support, you can browse your file and folders from your cellular device or you can mount as a Windows drive; just like a USB flash drive. You can move files between local hard disk and your Cloud File.