Computer Networking: Computer Network Implementation Considerations
2. Computer Network Implementation Considerations
Network implementation consists of the following steps:
1. Physical network design
i. Local Area Network design:
LAN design consists of selecting appropriate devices such as Hubs, Bridges, Switches, and Routers. Criteria for selecting LAN devices include the following:
- The number of ports required at different levels
- The speed (10Mbps/100Mbps/1Gbps or others)
- Media considerations, such as Ethernet, Token Ring etc.
- Support for different network protocols such as TCP, VOIP etc.
- Ease of configuration, and maintainability
- Management (SNMP etc.)
ii. Wide Area Network design:
Various WAN technologies are available for connecting enterprise resources. A few prominent technologies are given below:
- Leased lines
- Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)
- Frame Relay
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
The technology that suit an enterprise requirement depends on the bandwidth and QoS requirements, security requirements, and application requirements.
2. Remote Access requirements: The companies are increasing becoming mobile. This demands remote access capability to its executives, customers and
vendors. Devices are chosen taking into consideration the remote access requirements of the Company. Several technologies can be used for remote
access including PPP, Multilink PPP, ISDN, or Cable Modem. Careful consideration to be given whether the software or WAN devices support
authentication and authorization methods intended to be adopted by the Company.
3. Testing, and Documentation: Appropriate test methods be developed for thoroughly testing a campus or enterprise network. The test methods must
include connectivity, accessibility, availability, and load testing. Documentation is to done with the help of network diagrams. Both logical
and physical networks must be documented properly. Don't forget to take a network baselining for future reference and troubleshooting.