Computer Networking: Ip Telephony: Voip
(Voice Over Ip)
6. IP Telephony: VOIP (Voice Over
Business organizations have traditionally separated their
voice and data networks, doubling the cost of equipment
and maintenance, support staff and training. However, voice
over IP networks is being increasingly used by Individual
and Corporate users. With IP telephony, it is possible to
remove the costly PBX and replace it with a voice and data
gateway implementing IP Telephony. Now a days, most routers
that are used with data networks are coming with voice capability.
By using appropriate gateway, voice and data can be multiplexed
and carried together without the need for a separate voice
carrier. This in turn reduces the equipment, maintenance,
and running costs significantly. Typical applications include
Central office and branch office communications, call centers,
and remote communications.
Benefits of IP telephony:
- Significant reduction in the cost compared to discrete
voice and data networks.
- Reduction in the maintenance, support and training
of personnel associated with voice and data networks
- Unified messaging using state of the art technology
- Better return on investment (ROI).
- Increased functionality with value added services
such as SMS, and others.