HTML5 Tutorials For Beginners : Features
2. features of HTML5
1. HTML 5 has simplified syntax. It requires a doctype
to be specified to make sure browser renders the page in
standards mode. doctype is only needed to enable standards
mode for documents written using the HTML syntax Earlier
versions of HTML did not require doctype because it HTML
language was SGML based and therefore required reference
2. HTML5 allows MathML and SVG elements to be used inside
a document. These elements can be inserted using math
or svg tags.
3. HTML 5 introduces figure element which when combined
with <figurecaption> element allow semantically associate
captions with their image
4. type attributes are no longer required for
link and script tags. It is understood that both of these
tags refer to stylesheets and scripts, respectively. So
type attribute can be removed all together.
5. Contents can be made editable. A new attribute is
contenteditable is introduced which allows user to
edit any of the text contained within the element, including
its children. One use of this is to make a to do list an
example given later in article.
6. A new input type email is introduced. It will
only allow strings that conform to a valid email address
7. HTML 5 has introduces <header> and <footer>
tags so that it is not required to identify these elements
with div tags.
8. Audio files can be added to pages without relying
on third party plugins. <audio> tag can be
used for this. Firefox will want to see an .ogg file, while
Webkit browsers will work just fine with the common .mp3
extension. This means that, at least for now, you should
create two versions of the audio. Opera 10 and lower can
only work with .wav files.