ITIL® Foundation Certification Notes
: Continual Service Improvement (Csi)
7. Continual Service
7.1 Purpose of CSI
To align IT services with changing business needs by
identifying and implementing improvements to IT services
that support business processes.
7.2 Objectives of CSI
1) To measure and analyze service level achievements
by comparing them to the requirements in the Service Level
2) To recommend improvements in all phases of the lifecycle
3) To introduce activities which will increase the quality,
efficiency, effectiveness and customer satisfaction of the
services and the IT service management processes
4) To operate more cost effective IT services without
sacrificing customer satisfaction
5) To use suitable quality management methods for improvement
7.3 Scope of CSI
1) The overall health of ITSM as a discipline.
2) Continual tuning of the IT services to the current
and future needs of the business.
3) Continual tuning of the IT service portfolio.
4) The maturity of the IT processes which enable the
7.4 Value to Business
1) To validate previous decisions.
2) To set direction for activities in order to meet targets.
3) To justify (with facts) that a course of action is
4) To identify a point of intervention including required
changes and corrective actions.