ITIL® Foundation Certification Notes
: Service Operation: Purpose, Scope & Others
5.6.4 Service Asset and Configuration
Management Process (SACM)
Service Asset and Configuration management process ensures
the integrity of service assets and configurations in order
to support the effective and efficient management of the
The main reason for configuration management is to gather
the information needed (in a non-duplicated manner) about
the IT components and how they relate to each other. The
reason for this is to ensure that the relevant information
is available for all the other processes to ensure that
detailed impact and risk analysis can take place.
A) Purpose of Service Asset and Configuration Management
1) SACM ensures that the assets required to deliver
services are properly controlled, and that accurate
and reliable information about those assets is available
when and where it is needed.
2) This information includes details of how the assets
have been configured and the relationships between assets.
B) Objectives of Service Asset and Configuration Management
1) Account for all the IT assets and configurations
within the organization and its services.
2) Provide accurate information on configurations
and their documentation to support all the other service
3) Provide a sound basis for incident management,
problem management, change management and release management.
4) Verify the configuration records against the infrastructure
and correct any exceptions.
5) Plan, identify, control, record, report, audit
and verify service assets and configuration items.
6) Account for manage and protect the integrity of
service assets and configuration items throughout their
7) Provide accurate information to support business
and service management.
8) Ensure the integrity of those items by creating
and maintaining an accurate Configuration Management
System (CMS) as part of the Service knowledge management