1. This are the older processor .32-bit processor has a structure that can process instructions less efficiently
2. 32-bit processor can handle less instruction at one time
3. 32-bit processor can only handle 4GB of memory
4. Even though a 32-bit processor can handle up to 4GB of memory, having that much memory on a 32-bit processor will not make it perform quicker.
2. 64-bit CPU
1. 64-bits is larger than 32-bits, that means that a 64-bit processor can handle more instructions in one load.
2. 64-bit processor which can handle up to 16EB (=1 billion GB) of memory or RAM.
2. CPU Socket types
The processor socket (also called a CPU socket) is the connector on the motherboard that houses a CPU and forms the electrical interface and contact with the CPU. Motherboards are subcategorized by the type of processor socket they have.
The types of CPU sockets are as follows :
1. LGA Sockets: The land grid array (LGA) is a type of surface-mount packaging for integrated circuits (ICs) that is notable for having the pins on the socket rather than the integrated circuit. An LGA can be electrically connected to a printed circuit board (PCB) either by the use of a socket or by soldering directly to the board. The below figure shows the LGA socket on a mother board.
Example : LGA 1150
LGA 1150 also called Socket H3, is an Intel microprocessor compatible socket which supports the Intel Haswell microprocessor.It is a replacement for the LGA 1155 (known as Socket H2). All socket 1150 motherboards support varying video outputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI - depending on the model) and Intel Clear Video Technology.Chipset for LGA 1150 is codenamed Lynx Point. Intel Xeon processors for socket LGA 1150 use the Intel C222, C224, and C226 chipsets
37.55mm x 37.55mm
The below figure shows the typical LGA 1150:
2. ZIF sockets:A zero insertion force (ZIF) socket, designed by Intel and includes a small lever to insert and remove the computer processor. Using the lever allows a user to add and remove a computer processor without any tools.
Example: 40-pin ZIF socket
It high-quality, easy to use 40 pin ZIF socket that is 0.6" wide with gold-plated contacts. Compatible with 0.3" up to 0.6" wide ICs up to 40-pins. Makes for easy connecting or programming to many DIP ICs. High conductivity terminals create solid connections. Armature makes it easy to open and close socket. The below figure shows the 40-Pin ZIF socket :