Cpu And Cpu Socket Types Used In Motherboard
4. CPU and CPU Socket types
used in a Motherboard
1. CPU Types
There are two different types of CPU's
1. 32-bit CPU
- 1. This are the older processor .32-bit processor
has a structure that can process instructions less efficiently
- 2. 32-bit processor can handle less instruction
at one time
- 3. 32-bit processor can only handle 4GB of memory
- 4. Even though a 32-bit processor can handle up
to 4GB of memory, having that much memory on a 32-bit
processor will not make it perform quicker.
2. 64-bit CPU
- 1. 64-bits is larger than 32-bits, that means that
a 64-bit processor can handle more instructions in one
- 2. 64-bit processor which can handle up to 16EB
(=1 billion GB) of memory or RAM.
2. CPU Socket types
The processor socket (also called a CPU socket) is the
connector on the motherboard that houses a CPU and forms
the electrical interface and contact with the CPU. Motherboards
are subcategorized by the type of processor socket they
The types of CPU sockets are as follows :
1. LGA Sockets: The land grid array
(LGA) is a type of surface-mount packaging for integrated
circuits (ICs) that is notable for having
the pins on the socket rather than the integrated circuit.
An LGA can be electrically connected to a printed circuit
board (PCB) either by the use of a socket
or by soldering directly to the board. The below figure
shows the LGA socket on a mother board.