Network Simulator 2 (NS2) : Installing NS2 On Windows 7
4. Why two language? (TCL and C++)
NS2 stands for Network Simulator Version 2. It is an open-source event-driven simulator designed specifically for research in computer communication networks.
NS2 uses OTcl to create and configure a network, and uses C++ to run simulation. All C++ codes need to be compiled and linked to create an executable file.
For configuration, setup, or one time simulation, or
To run simulation with existing NS2 modules.
This option is preferable for most beginners, since it does not involve complicated internal mechanism of NS2. Unfortunately, existing NS2 modules are fairly limited. This option is perhaps not sufficient for most researchers.
When you are dealing with a packet, or - when you need to modify existing NS2 modules.
This option perhaps discourages most of the beginners from using NS2. This book particularly aims at helping the readers understand the structure of NS2 and feel more comfortable in modifying NS2 modules.
5. Installing NS2 on windows 7
NS2 builds and runs under windows using Cygwin. Cygwin provides Linux like environment under windows.
System Requirements: A computer with C++ compiler. Building full NS2 package requires large memory space approximately 250MB
I. Steps to install NS 2 on windows 7 are given below
1. Download Cygwin from following link https://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe
2. Run the downloaded setup.exe and you will see screen shown below click next.
3. Select option "Install From Internet". If you have already downloaded the package select "Install from local directory" and click next
4. Keep the default installation directory as "C:\cygwin" and click next
5. Keep default local package directory as your download folder and click next.